Facebook is no doubt the most popular social media platform. People use it to post their feelings, pictures and share their emotions. But the sad part is because of Facebook people has lost their privacy. If not configured the settings properly, people can download your picture from Facebook and use it for their own purpose.
Also if you search in the internet we find lots of questions asking how to hack other’s Facebook account. So, people want to break your privacy. Below are some of the ways you can check whether the Facebook log in page is genuine or fake.
Phishing is one the way by which people creates a page similar to Facebook and can hack your password.
1. WOT (Web of Trust)
Web of Trust checks the reputation of website based on the users review and data collected from various sources. Check the Facebook page report from WOT.
- Install Web of Trust plugin for Chrome or Firefox.
- You will see the WOT icon on the right side of the address bar.
- Click on it to see the report for the webpage.
- Below is the Web of Trust report for Facebook
- Now we should have a common sense that Facebook being a popular page should have good ratings. The above report of Facebook by WOt also shows the same.
- Below is the WOT report for a general website.
- It shows that the users rating and child safety is unknown. It means that the site is not popular so you should be aware and check for further details.
2. Check the name of the website in the address bar
You should know that two websites won’t have the same domain name. Facebook domain name is “Facebook“. So, there can’t be any other site with the same name. So always check the spelling of the domain name in the address bar. There might be a little bit of variation. Instead of Facebook, there can be Facbook, Fakebook etc.
3. Page Rank
Page Rank is the algorithm used by Google to rank the importance and popularity of a website. One of the factor used for Page Rank is link. The more number of link a webpage has from the trusted site, higher the page rank of the website. Facebook being a popular website should have a higher page rank. Either you can check the page rank by installing the page rank add-on for chrome or Firefox or else use a website.
- Use this site to check the site’s page rank.
- Enter the address which you have opened in the address in the box and click on “Check PR“.
- Enter the “captcha” code and click on “Verify Now” button.
- Check the page rank for the website. Facebook page rank is currently “9“.
- If you find that the Page rank is “0” or very less than that page is fake.
4. Check whether the site if verified or not
- Click on the lock icon on the left side of the website address.
- Most of the site will be verified by Google and you will see “Identity Verified“.
5. Check for SSL setting (Secure socket layer)
Generally most of the reputed social media and e-commerce website has SSL certificated. It shows that the site is trusted. Those websites which have SSL certificate will have “https:” before their address and a lock icon. Facebook being a popular site should have the same.
6. Contact us page and About us
Reputed website will have contact us page where you can see the email address or contact number to contact them directly. You can call or send them email to check whether it is genuine or not. Also check the “About us” page to check more information about the page.
7. Check for the menus, links etc
If you see a webpage there are other links and menus. May be “Home“, “support” etc. Click on them. A phishing site won’t bother that much to input every details. Generally what they do is create the copy of the index page or the login page.
8. Check for the Domain information
- Use this website to check for the domain information.
- Input the name of the website in the box and click on “Search“.
- Check the information about the domian. For Facebook check who is the administrator, when was it registered etc.
9. Be suspicious about email invitation
Generally Phishing site sends you an email to log into your Facebook account. When you click on that link you will get directed to a fake site. When you log into the account then your user name and password will be delivered to the other person who has created the fake site.
10. Paid domain or Free Domain
All the reputed websites will be hosted under paid domain and the reputed ones such as “.com“. “.net“, “.org” etc. If you find any free hosted domain then you should be suspicious.