Creating different types of users in word press
Who is a user?
A user may be defined as some one who is allowed to use the WordPress blog and make certain changes.
Why are users important in WordPress?
Now you may be thinking why you need to create different types of users in WordPress. If the blog is a personal blog then it is not necessary to have users in the blog as it is you who will be the one to create post, edit and publish it. But if it is a company’s blog then you will allow other people to write posts, manage it and make certain changes. For that reason a company’s blog need to have users. But all of the users may not have the same privileges. You can define what kind of users you want to create.
How to create a user?
Go to the ‘Users‘ on the left side of the dashboard and click on “Add New”
Now you will get the screen for creating a new user where you need to fill up the necessary details.
Now your user is created and you will get the following screen. Once the user is created the password will be sent to their email address.
Different kinds of users in WordPress and their limit
1. Subscriber:- They can read the comments for themselves and comment on them and they can receive the newsletter for your blog.
2. Administrator:- He/She is the one who can do everything on the blog. Creating, Editing, Publishing, adding widgets, changing themes. All the functions of the blog can be controlled by him.
3. Editor:- An editor is the one who can view, edit, publish, and delete any posts/pages, moderate comments, manage categories, manage tags, manage links and upload files/images.
4. Author:- An author is the one who can edit, publish and delete their own posts only , as well as upload files/images. Authors do not have access to modify, add, delete, or publish pages.
5. Contributor:- A contributor is the one who can write the post for a blog but when he writes the post it will be saved as a draft and should be approved by the administrator to publish it. Once the post is published then the contributor will no longer be able to edit the post.