The very first question is why do you want to upgrade to windows 8. What are the advantages you will get it from.
Below are some of the advantages of Windows 8
- Faster start up time and shut down time. When tested it was found that the booting time for windows 8 was much lesser than Windows 7.
- Better security. With windows 8 comes updated virus definitions for Windows defender.
- Windows 8 has windows store where you can buy a whole lot of new applications.
These are some of the advantages of Windows 8.
Should I buy a new PC for Windows 8 ?
It may not be necessary to buy if you want your computer to be upgraded to Windows 8 but some of the features may not work properly.
Below are the recommendations for installing Windows 8
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2. In my experience if you have 2GHz or more with dual core processor it is better.
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
You can download “windows 8 upgrade advisor” and run it to know which applications are compatible and which are not. You will be recommended what you can do for the non compatible applications.
Below are the screenshots for my HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop
The figure below shows that six applications installed are incompatible with windows 8 and some of them can be solved by installing drivers or reinstalling software.