Sometimes when you are running your computer then suddenly you get a warning message that your computer is running low on memory.
What are the signals of Low memory?
- You get a warning message as shown above.
- Your computer runs slowly.
- It takes long time to open the program.
- If you click on the start button, or any software icon on the desktop then it takes longer time to open.
What are the causes and steps to remove low memory issue?
1. Because of Low virtual memory
When ever you are running a program then it is loaded in the computer’s RAM (Random Access Memory). But if your RAM is full then the program is shifted in the computer hard disk also known as virtual memory. When the RAM is free then from the computer hard disk virtual memory the program is again shifted to the RAM. So, if your computer virtual memory is set to low then you may get “Low memory warning“. So what you do is increase the size of the virtual memory.
- Right click on “My Computer” icon.
- Click on “Properties“.
- Click on “Advanced System Settings“.
- Click on “Advanced” tab.
- Under “Performance” click on “settings“.
- Click on “Advanced” and then on “Change“.
- Select any other partition other than the one where window is installed or any flash drive.
- Select “Custom size“. In the “Initial size” and “Maximum size” enter the amount which you want to set for the virtual memory
- Click on “set” button.
- Click on “OK“.
- You will need to restart the computer to set the virtual memory.
2. Switch to Basic view instead of Aero theme
Instead of using animation and aero display, go for basic display setting.
- Right click on desktop and click on “Personalize“.
- Select “Windows 7 Basic“.
3. Cancel the programs which start with windows
If any program is set to run along with windows then the program loads automatically when windows loads. If more programs load at once then it will need more RAM. So, check and cancel those program which you don’t need to run at start up.
- Click on “Start” and search for “msconfig“.
- Now remove the tick mark from the program which you don’t want to start up with windows.
- Click on “Apply” and then on “OK“.
- Now you need to restart the computer.
4. Use Disk cleanup
Use disk cleanup utility which comes with windows to find out the temporary and unused files and delete them.
- Right click on the drive for which you want to run disk cleanup utility.
- Click on “Properties“.
- Click on “Disk cleanup“.
- The utility will scan and calculate how much of space will be freed after disk cleanup.
- Click on “Clean up system file“.
5. Buy a Physical RAM
The best thing to do is if you can spend some amount of money, buy a physical RAM and upgrade your system. Check how much of RAM can your mother board can hold.
6. Check the version of Programs installed in your system
Every operating system has its own recommended set of hardware. You will be specified what speed of CPU speed, how much of RAM etc should your system should have. So, try to use the same set of hardware for best performance.