Desktop icons are the shortcut of programs which you will find in Windows desktop. They help you easily open the program without searching them from “Start” button. Sometimes you may not find them on your Windows desktop. So let’s see how to bring them back.
A. First case – If all the icons are disappeared
In the first case we will assume that all the icons are disappeared from Windows desktop as shown below.
1. Right click on desktop
2. Select “View” and then click on “Show desktop icons“.
3. Now you should be able to see all the icons on your desktop.
B. If only few icons such as “My computer” or “Recycle Bin” is missing
For Windows 7
1. Go to “Control Panel“.
2. Click on “Personalization“.
3. Click on “Change desktop icons“.
4. Now select the check box for the icons which is missing from the desktop.
5. Click on “Apply” and then on “OK“.
6. Now you will see the missing icons on the desktop.
For Windows 10 (You can follow the method mentioned below for Windows 10 even though the upper method will also work for windows 10)
1. Right click on “Desktop” and select “Personalize“.
2. Click at first on “Themes” and then on “Desktop icon settings“.
3. Now select the check box for the icons which is missing from the desktop
4. Click on “Apply” and then on “OK” and you will see the icons on the desktop.
C. What if icons and task bar both are missing from desktop
Now sometimes all the icons and task bar may be missing from the desktop and you computer may be frozen. It is because “explorer.exe” file is not working. So, let’s see how to fix it.
1. Press “Ctrl“+”Shift“+”Esc” to bring the task manager.
2. Click on “File” and then on “Run new task“.
3. Now type “explorer.exe” in the run box.
4. Click on “OK” button and you should see the the missing desktop icons and the task bar.
D. Create a shortcut for a program on the desktop if not present
What if you want to create a shortcut for a program which is not present on the desktop.
1. Click on “Start” button and look for the program which you want to create a shortcut on the desktop.
2. Move the mouse pointer to the program whose shortcut you want to create.
3. Press and hold the left button of the mouse by keeping the mouse pointer on the top of the program.
4. Now drag and drop the program on the desktop and you will see the shortcut of the program on the desktop.